Nova Scotia has a Human Rights Act and the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission, whose cases can be found here

Grounds of Discrimination Recognized: Age, race, colour, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability or mental disability, an irrational fear of contracting an illness or disease, ethnic, national or aboriginal origin, family status, marital status, source of income, political belief, affiliation or activity.

Areas of Application: Employment, Housing or Accommodation Services and Facilities (such as stores, restaurants or provincially funded programs), Purchase or Sale of Property, Volunteer Public Service, Publication, Broadcasting or Advertisement, Membership in a Professional, Business or Trade Association, or Employers’ or Employees’ Organization.

Procedure: When a complaint is accepted, planning begins to bring all parties together. This can include anyone directly involved with the dispute. The Commission may identify and bring additional people from the community who can contribute to the resolution of the complaint.

All participants at the resolution conference may share their perspectives and talk about what matters to them. Often participants can create their own solution to the issue, and a settlement agreement is written. If a resolution is not reached, information from the resolution conference may be used to make a recommendation to the Commissioners, who will decide the appropriate next steps.

How to Begin a Complaint: The Commission encourages prospective complainants to call them initially to determine if they have the jurisdiction to hear your complaint. You can contact them here. If they do have jurisdiction, commission staff and complainants fill out a complaint form collaboratively.

Limitation Periods: Any complaint must be made within twelve months of the date of the action or conduct complained of, or within twelve months of the last instance of the action or conduct if the action or conduct is ongoing.

Remedies: The Board can order General Damages for Emotional Harm, Special Damages for out of pocket expenses or wage losses, order an apology be made, order training to rectify violations, reinstate employment or order a party to cease contravention of the code.