Saskatchewan has a Human Rights Code and previously had both a Saskatchewan Human Rights Tribunal, their cases can be found here  and a Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission, cases found here. However, the Saskatchewan government abolished their tribunals in 2011 and refer’s complaints to be heard at the Court of the Queens Bench.

Grounds of Discrimination Recognized: Religion, creed, marital status, family status (parent-child relationship),  sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, disability (mental and physical), age (18 or older), colour, ancestry, nationality, place of origin, race or perceived race, receipt of public assistance, and gender identity.

Areas of Application: Employment or Occupation, Education, Housing, Publications, Public Services (such as restaurants, stores, hotels, government services, etc.), Contracts or Purchase of Property, and Professional Associations or Trade Unions.

Procedure: Once a complaint has been formalized, the Commission works with both parties to reach a timely resolution of the complaint. This is done through encouraging mediation and investigating the complaint. The Commission and or Commissioner can elect to dismiss the complaint, refer the complaint to a more appropriate body, or refer the matter to the Court of Queen’s Bench.

How to Begin a Complaint: You can contact the Commissions office by mail, telephone, or email to explain your situation to an intake consultant to begin the intake process and you may be required to fill out an intake questionnaire.

Limitation Periods: Complainants must make a complaint within one year of becoming aware of the discrimination.

Remedies: Settlements or orders may include: a verbal or written apology, reinstatement of lost rights or opportunities, the adoption of anti-harassment/ anti-discrimination policies, compensation for lost wages, other benefits or expenses, if appropriate compensation for injury to feelings, dignity or self-respect can be order, if appropriate making a facility accessible for people with disabilities, or developing a plan to provide accessibility may be ordered.